RE: Options we have with respect to the draft charters (i.e., RE: [fwd] Draft charters for work on Semantics for WS)

At 10:17 -0500 11/22/05, Shi, Xuan wrote:
>I'd like to make clear about my statement regarding XML, RDF/OWL, semantic
>Web, etc. XML is based on a Tree model while RDF is based on a graphic model
>originated from the AI domain. Thus it's not easy for XML people to
>understand RDF tripples.
>
>Since semantic Web is a "logical Web", in this sense, the
>"machine-processible semantics" as Uschold discuessed is limited to those
>"logics". However, the content of "semantics" is far more than "logics".
>That's why Veltman criticized the SW technologies as it is an obvious
>problem as how can we use RDF/OWL to describe the semantics of Culture or
>literature when people exchange information over the Internet? Actually what
>machine can process depends on how people design the procedure, which may
>have no logics inside it.
>
>As for semantic Web services, RDF is good at define the class-subclass
>relationship and thus has a root relationship with object-oriented
>programming techniques. However, in Web services, we have much more
>relatsionships than the class-subclass relation as we have to define the
>meaning, purpose, behavior, etc. of the services and functions, which may be
>all beyond the WSDL document itself.

Shi, since I just gave a keynote talk at XML 2005 on exactly these
issues, and discussing the difference between SW and XML, may I point
you at my slides
   http://www.cs.umd.edu/~hendler/presentations/XML2005Keynote.pdf
suffice to say, that I think the XML world has plenty of complexity
of its own, and tree vs. graph really doesn't get at the main point.

--
Professor James Hendler			  Director
Joint Institute for Knowledge Discovery	 	  301-405-2696