Re: Options we have with respect to the draft charters (i.e., RE: [fwd] Draft charters for work on Semantics for WS)

Drew McDermott wrote:

>>[jeff@inf.ed.ac.uk]
>>
>>BTW, why is it said that "the current WSDL standard operates at the
>>syntactic level"?  What is any more semantic about the things that
>>are labelled "semantic"?
>>

>By old and well established usage, "semantic" means "complex,
>expressive, insightful, ours," contrasted with "syntactic," which
>means "simple, weak, error-prone, theirs."
>
>It would be nice to avoid this term completely, but then we'd have to
>change the name "Semantic Web."

Heh, I'm sympathetic... We could always go back to talking about a
'Resource Description Framework', ie a framework for describing ...
things. But too late there I think; although the original idea was an
incrementally extended framework,  most folks now see RDF==triples, too
limiting a concept to be the overall umbrella term for this effort.

cheers,

Dan