[Fwd: Re: Sweet Tools website]

Here the answer from Michael,
interesting!

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff:  Re: Sweet Tools website
Datum:  Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:46:38 -0600
Von:  Michael K. Bergman <mike@mkbergman.com>
An:  Leo Sauermann <leo.sauermann@dfki.de>
Referenzen:  <45B793AA.7010704@dfki.de>

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your kind commments.  I'd be happy to help the SWEO's
activities in any way.  See my specific responses below.

Leo Sauermann wrote:
> Dear Michael Bergman,
>
> Are you planning to keep the list updated or do you rather see it as a
> static thing?

Yes, it is my intent to keep the site active for some time, until career
stuff takes me elsewhere or the numbers get too great.  I'm now in my
update 6.  I maintain it locally as a spreadsheet, and I posted it on
Google hoping others may contribute as well.

> How did you pick the tools for the website? You picked Simile's Exhibit,
> why, did you consider alternatives?

In regard to various forum comments (including on the SW tools listing
on W3C), I earlier stated on my blog:

"I should mention that I have seen some commentary within the semantic
Web community of the desirability of compiling “best of” or “Top X”
tools listings for the semantic Web. While such lists have their place,
they are no substitute for comprehensive listings. First, semantic tools
are still in their infancy and it is premature to bestow “best of” in
most categories. Second, many practitioners, such as me, are working to
extend and improve existing tools. This requires more comprehensive
listings, not narrower ones. And, last, what may ultimately contribute
to semantic meaning on the Internet may well extend beyond semantic Web
tools, strictly defined. An ivory tower focus on purity is not the means
to encourage experimentation and innovation. Many Web 2.0 initiatives,
including tagging and social collaboration, may very well point to more
effective nucleation points for expanding semantic Web efforts than
W3C-compliant efforts.

These are some of the reasons that I have been happy to include simple
Firefox extensions or relatively narrow format converters for my
listings. Who knows? You never know when and where you might find a gem!
(And I’m not speaking solely of Ruby!)"

As for Exhibit, I'm truly blown away.  There is a nexus between the MIT
stuff (Solvent, Piggy Bank, Timeline, Ajax, Exhibit) that I find both
pragmatic and compelling.  I think real stuff is going to nucleate out
of these efforts -- and that is why I chose Exhibit.

> We want to gather information about useful information resources. Your
> list would be great as a reusable input, we thought about using an RDF
> vocabulary and an RDF database with a SPARQL endpoint to generate a
> website that gathers different sources.
> What format would you suggest to use?

Leo, you tell me.  I'm actively looking at this issue myself, in trying
to decide what should be the "least-common denominator canonical data
form."  I suspect from your standpoint that RDF + SPARQL makes the most
sense (standards compliance, and all).  There is so much going on with
microformats, OPML, Atom, etc.  But I'm pretty intrigued with JSON or
GData.  I just have this general sense that simpler and easier (with
offline converters, GRDDL?) is the way things will evolve.

> Would you be interested that we crawl your data and reuse it?

Please feel free.  Everyone in the community is making contributions.

Again, I very much support your efforts.  I'll try to do what I can in
my little corner of the world.  Let me know if I can help further.

Thanks, Mike

--
______________________________

Michael K. Bergman
Web Scientist
380 Knowling Drive
Coralville, IA  52241
mailto:mike@mkbergman.com
319.339.0110

http://mkbergman.com
______________________________

- DFKI bravely goes where no man has gone before -
We will move to our new building by end of February 2007.

The new address will be as follows:
    Trippstadter Straße 122
    D-67663 Kaiserslautern

My phone/fax numbers will also change:
Phone:    +49 (0)631 20575 - 116
Secr.:    +49 (0)631 20575 - 101
Fax:      +49 (0)631 20575 - 102
Email remains the same
DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann
DFKI GmbH
P.O. Box 2080          Fon:   +49 631 205-3503
67608 Kaiserslautern   Fax:   +49 631 205-3472
Germany                Mail:  leo.sauermann@dfki.de