Re: "RDF/XML Lite" task force?

Hi Benjamin, Ivan

I go with Ivan, its not a task of SWEO, we cross borders to the core WG.

btw: I have written some ideas about a simpler RDF/XML here:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SimpleRdfXml

If you are interested, just go on from there, edit wildly and get
feedback on the mailinglists from rdf-interest..
best
Leo

Es begab sich aber da Benjamin Nowack zur rechten Zeit 11.01.2007 16:38
folgendes schrieb:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> Thanks for your comments. I guess you are right that solving
> this issue could be done via SWIG, although I don't expect
> to get very far there. I was hoping for a small group of
> focused people, but yeah, maybe there is a chance to start
> something similar to the recently created vCard/RDF work.
>
> Cheers,
> Benjamin
>

> On 11.01.2007 15:19:58, Ivan Herman wrote:
>
>> Benjamin,
>>
>> while the core technical issue is obviously of interest, I do believe
>> that is not something that we should do under the heading of the SWEO
>> group. I am just concerned of running thin. In my view, this is the type
>> of discussion that is best fit on the SW Interest Group... [this is just
>> my process hat on...:-)]
>>
>> B.t.w.: (and puttting down all my hats:-) I am not sure that a
>> simplified XML syntax is really what we would need from a SWEO
>> perspective. I am bit mixed up where Ora referred to this (I think it
>> was answering Lee's blog): now that the RDF/XML parsers are omnipresent,
>> why would we care about the details of an XML encoding? What we need is
>> an understanding that the model and XML are different. That is why we
>> will try to get some more formal stamp on Turtle (I hope this will work
>> out); that is why also I see RDFa as an important tool. Ian raised a
>> JSon format: I did not think about it before but, well, yes, why not?
>>
>> Ivan
>>
>> Benjamin Nowack wrote:
>>
>>> OK, this would probably fit better in SWD, but it's related to
>>> SWEO as well. Just some food for more thought:
>>>
>>> One of the (IMO) most destructive SemWeb misconceptions is the
>>> "RDF = RDF/XML" one. I guess we all agree that one of SWEO's
>>> objectives should be to provide (links to) easy-to-grok material
>>> for SemWeb newbies that make the distinction clear. However, if
>>> want to go beyond these simple education tasks, we have to
>>> reach out and get more people of the larger Web dev community
>>> involved. I personally don't have a problem with RDF/XML, and
>>> I always sigh when the "RDF/XML sucks" perma-thread reappears
>>> every other month, but fact is:
>>>  * there *is* a perma-thread
>>>  * it's sucessfully used by SemWeb opponents (and proponents
>>>    as well, for that matter) to hinder community growth
>>>  * even many RDFers don't like it
>>>  * it *is* the recommended syntax
>>>  * we are not in a position to make everyone switch to
>>>    e.g. turtle; embedded RDF approaches don't work for
>>>    all use cases, and generally, an XML-based syntax
>>>    makes a lot of sense
>>>  * even the most simple SemWeb "hello world" will include
>>>    some serialization, any useful *2nd step* will include
>>>    parsing/consuming
>>>  * developers didn't forget the pain and frustration when
>>>    they gave up on trying to write an RSS 1.0 parser
>>>
>>> So, assuming our wake-up efforts are a huge success and everyone
> [...]

- DFKI bravely goes where no man has gone before -
We will move to our new building by end of February 2007.

The new address will be as follows:
    Trippstadter Straße 122
    D-67663 Kaiserslautern

My phone/fax numbers will also change:
Phone:    +49 (0)631 20575 - 116
Secr.:    +49 (0)631 20575 - 101
Fax:      +49 (0)631 20575 - 102
Email remains the same
DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann
DFKI GmbH
P.O. Box 2080          Fon:   +49 631 205-3503
67608 Kaiserslautern   Fax:   +49 631 205-3472
Germany                Mail:  leo.sauermann@dfki.de