FW: Now it's RDF vs Microformats

From: Uldis Bojars <uldis.bojars@deri.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:15:06 +0000
To: public-sweo-ig@w3.org

Paul Walsh, Segala wrote on Monday, February 26, 2007 9:29 AM

>> "When a new microformat is introduced existing applications may not be
able to store and process them without creating new data structures first."

> I didn't know this, thanks.

This is based on an assumption that most applications use separate data
structures to store each kind of data.
RDF being not dependent on what you want to store can help in such a
situation.

People who are more involved with microformats may prove me wrong, but
currently I do not know of another universal and efficient way to store data
collected from different microformats.

You could serialise parsed [microformat] data, e.g., in JSON, but how will
that help you query this information?

Uldis

[ http://captsolo.net/info/ ]

On
> Behalf Of Uldis Bojars
> Sent: 26 February 2007 02:38
> To: 'Lee Feigenbaum'; public-sweo-ig@w3.org
> Subject: RE: Now it's RDF vs Microformats
>

> Lee Feigenbaum wrote on Friday, February 23, 2007 9:40 PM:
>
> >From where I sit, it seems to be the microformats crowd that has no
> >interest in being cooperative with the RDF crowd. (c.f. recent posts
> >like
> http://ben-ward.co.uk/journal/fao-rdf/ )
>
> > In addition, there seems to be an implicit assumption in much of
> > what I
> see from the microformat community
> > that RDF is only successful if it marks content up on the Web ala
> > RDFa
or
> eRDF. I know that there is somewhat
> > of a split even within SWEO on the corporate SW vs. SW-on-the-web,
> > but
> me comments like
> > "The thing about RDF is that no-one has yet demonstrated any
> > real-world
> reason to care about it"
> > seem to beg for some SWEO intervention.
>
> One of the main principles of microformats "specific solutions to
> specific problems" is also one of the main reasons why (and how)
> microformats can benefit from RDF.
>
> That is consuming and storing information described with microformats.
There
> are separate microformats for different kinds of information - and the
> software consuming this data has to know how to store and process each
> of them. When a new microformat is introduced existing applications
> may not
be
> able to store and process them without creating new data structures first.
> This is where RDF may help - it has a generic data model and will be
> able
> store new microformats right away (after they are converted to RDF).
>
> The next benefit is that RDF has a simple data model in which all
relations
> [between data objects] are made explicit - which helps to clarify the
> implicit interconnections between different mFormats which Paul Walsh
> was writing about:
>
> "Nothing has smaller units than RDF, nothing is more decentralized
> than
RDF,
> nothing is more modular than RDF. I've just written a MF-to-RDF
> converter, the implicit interconnections between the different MFs are
> rather complex for both publishers and consumers. They also make up at
> least 50% of the questions on the MF IRC channel ( la "what are the
> exact semantics of a rel-tag in an hreview in an hentry")."
>
> I can only agree to earlier posts - it makes sense to work together
> and avoid falling into the trap of "us or them" mindset. Even if the
communities
> will not be working together right away there is something that both
> communities want to do and are doing - creating a Web of richer data.
>
> Within the SIOC project [1] we are generating some RDF data from
> community sites (largest part via the WordPress SIOC plugin [1]) and
> want to get
more
> RDF data out there. It is [probably] much less than what is generated
> via microformats, but it is a large enough set of useful data. Now we
> need
more