Now it's RDF vs Microformats

From: Paul Walsh, Segala <paul@segala.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:20:13 -0000
To: "'W3C SWEO IG'" <public-sweo-ig@w3.org>
Thought some of you might like to comment on this [1]. I'm going to write a
post addressing the same topic but to counter Sam's misunderstanding and his
failure to understand that Microformats is (part of) the Semantic Web -
addressing approximately 1% (+- 1% ;)) of the Semantic Web potential and
using an extremely good hacked method that's not based on standards.

Ok now that I've said it without thinking properly (which can be a good
thing), what do you think about my use of the word hacked (I won't quote
you).

I met David Recordon [2] last night and talked about OpenID and how to get
FOAF into the mix. This is something I've chatted (briefly) about with
Philip Hallam-Baker and Dan Brickley, who have the same view. I'd like to
push this conversation if anyone here is interested in helping to make it a
reality and not just a conversation.

I'll use my talk tonight [3] as an opportunity to spell out the problems
with the comparison above.

[1]
http://www.vecosys.com/2007/02/22/the-semantic-web-complexity-versus-simplic
ity/
[2] http://daveman692.livejournal.com/
[3] http://tinyurl.com/2sbqne

Cheers
Paul

Segala, CEO

Office:   +44 (0)1483 572 800
Mobile:  +44 (0)7738 758 848
Visit our blog
http://segala.com/blog/

Download our Firefox Extension
http://searchthresher.segala.com/

Do you design, build or test Web sites?
Join the Segala-Certified Partner Programme for Accessibility
http://partner.segala.com <http://affiliate.segala.com/>