Re: Semantic Web according to wikipedia

On 15/02/07, Paul Walsh, Segala <paulwalsh@segala.com> wrote:

> I know this has come up before but I'll ask the question again.
>
> What is the W3C's position of the interpretation of the Semantic Web on
> wikipedia [1].
>
> What is the rest of the group's thoughts about it?

I was pleasantly surprised by the entry, most of it seems reasonably
accurate - very good to see the timbl quotes.

> It's funny that everyone [2] knows that the SM is a W3C ambition, yet they
> decide to link to the ever so reliable wiki.

Hmm, that might suggest the W3C's intro pages need work.

> I could be cheeky and ensure it's update to include Content Labels. Or, is
> that cheeky?!

I think it's entirely justified - there's a rather ill-informed
section on "Censorship, and privacy" which could do with a
counter-view, and Content Labels could add a good positive note.

I just added a paragraph to a section entitled "Doubling output
formats" - the information wasn't up-to-date as the specific issue is
addressed by GRDDL.

Personally I wouldn't delete any criticism of the Semantic Web I found
there, that could (reasonably) be interpreted as not having a Neutral
Point of View [3]. But aside from that, I'd suggest anything that
improves the quality of the information is a Good Thing and to be
encouraged: relevant additions, editorial changes to make it more
readable etc. It is a Wiki after all - a community resource.

If anyone has a minute, the Layer Cake they've got is a little stale...

Cheers,
Danny.

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Npov

--