Re: Minutes of our meeting:

Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> Ivan Herman wrote:
>
>> <<<
>>    ivan: asks for kjetil's next step plans
>>
>>    <leobard> kjetilk: the data projects are promising
>>
>>    kjetilk: try to make projects proceed somehow, maybe give some
>>    exposure already
>>
>>    susie: maybe the rest of the group could have a look at the list and
>>    collect some comments wrt chance to being successful etc
>>
>>    <leobard> susie: next week we can select which project we support
>>
>>    ivan: linked data seems to have the largest impact, but may not
>>    really match the idea of convincing outsiders, as its more data
>>    oriented, not really app-focused
>>
>>    <leobard> ivan: the "linking open data" project's value is only for
>>    semantic web geeks.
>>
>>    <LeeF> +1 to ivan's take on the projects
>>
>>    ivan: on the other hand: an excellent project that may be a
>>    prerequisite for other ones
>>
>>    <leobard> ivan: we want to have several projects we give publicity
>>
>>    <leobard> ivan: not only one or two projects
>>
>>    <wing> nice, kjetilk
>>
>>    kjetilk: agrees with ivan that his project is, without being biased,
>>    is more useful for the showing side
>>    ... ;)
>>

> Ivan / Lee,
>
> The Linking Data Project is in no shape of form Geek oriented. This is
> unfortunately an incorrect characterization of the project.
>
> The last thing Chris, Richard, Stefano, myself, and others have in mind
> is yet another Semantic Web Geek Project. We are all very
> anti-semantic-web-geek. This is why we have specifically set a goal to
> make this project usable by the hypothetical Grandma.
>
> Please send some specific questions about this project that can aid in
> correcting the current misconceptions.

Kingsley,

this was not a critique of the project itself. At all! I think it is a
great an extremely important project, you not have to convince me on this.

The only thing I said (and others seemed to agree): the goal of *this*
sweo exersize was to come up with project proposals that would
immediately demonstrate for *non-Semantic Web* people the power and the
possibilities of the Semantic Web. On the other hand, to really
appreciate the importance, future potential, and the value of the
Semantic linking project you already have to know and understand what is
happening. That is all.

Having said that: we agreed that we would collect (via Susie) our
'votes' for the projects. Although this vote is supposed to be
confidential, I have no problem acknowledging that I *will* put a vote
against that project, too. But we have to recognize that it is different
than the others, and we may have to treat it a bit differently than the
others (in our messaging, things like that).

Ivan