ISSUE-187: Last Call Comment: skos:mappingRelation and skos:semanticRelation

From: SWD Issue Tracker <dean+cgi@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 08:47:03 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-swd-wg@w3.org,public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org

ISSUE-187: Last Call Comment: skos:mappingRelation and skos:semanticRelation

http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/187

Raised by: Alistair Miles
On product: SKOS

Raised by Bernard Vatant in [1]:

"""
Just realized something I find a bit weird

To begin with skos:mappingRelation and skos:semanticRelation seem to
have somehow distinct usages, the former being used for cross-vocabulary
relations, and the latter for relations inside a vocabulary.

But since skos:broadMatch has became a subproperty of  skos:broader, it
is de facto a subproperty of  skos:semanticRelation.
Same for skos:narrowMatch and skos:relatedMatch.

Some mapping relations are now semantic relations, and I have no problem
with that ... But why are poor skos:closeMatch ans skos:exactMatch
excluded from the promotion? Seems to me, there is as much "semantics"
in a close or exact match than in broad, narrow and related match(es).

Why not make simply skos:mappingRelation a subproperty of
skos:semanticRelation ?
"""

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2008Oct/0031.html