Wordnet TF

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:27:25 +0100
To: public-swbp-wg@w3.org

After having expressed a personal lack of enthusiasm for the Wordnet
Task Force at Monday's telecon, I have discussed this situation with
colleagues.

The task force has broadly the following jobs to do in phase 1:

   1. define a mapping relating Wordnet and Owl and possibly SKOS
   2. build consensus for that mapping amongst the several groups who
have built their own
   3. build support with the wordnet authors to adopt, distribute and
maintain the mapping
   4. possibly develop and deploy a service making Wordnet in RDF
available on the web

We believe that the Wordnet in RDF/Owl is important and would like to
ensure that it is completed successfully, but we are aware that time for
the WG is running out.  We suggest that we should take a realistic view
of what can be accomplished within the lifetime of the WG.  Then two
questions arise:

   - is that a useful standalone contribution
   - how do we get the work completed after SWBP shuts down

A further point that came up in our discussion is some recent work at
the Univ. of Chile, inspired by some of the early drafts of the Wordnet TF:

http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~agraves/wordnet/

This is an additional group that figures under point 2 above.

Jeremy

[[Msg copied by bcc to agraves at dcc.uchile.cl to avoid adding to
Alvaro's spam]]