Re: Asymmetry of Domain and Range in OWL

i agree with chris in not considering this an asymmetry.

I think a main point that we would point out with range is that after a
range (either global with a range restriction or local with an all
values from restriction) is used, that description logic reasoners will
enforce the restriction.  Thus, one could view this that anything that
is a value of a property with a range restriction will end up being
"coerced" into being an instance of the range restriction.

we would also want to point out the related issue that if a value
restriction becomes overconstrained (and thus incoherent), then the
maximum cardinality restriction ends up getting set to 0 since it is
impossible for there to be any values of the property.
this does not cause in inconsistency .

deborah

--
 Deborah L. McGuinness