Re: Asymmetry of Domain and Range in OWL

Deborah

Unfortunately - this is exactly what does NOT happen!  Which is why I refer to it as 'asymmetrical'.  This is the behaviour for domain constraints but NOT for range constraints.   You probably mis-spoke, but...

"Deborah L. McGuinness" wrote:

> i agree with chris in not considering this an asymmetry.
>
> I think a main point that we would point out with range is that after a range (either global with a range restriction or local with an all values from restriction) is used, that description logic reasoners will enforce the restriction.  Thus, one could view this that anything that is a value of a property with a range restriction will end up being "coerced" into being an instance of the range restriction.

NO.  If it is a range restriction, there is no coercion. Only if it is a domain restriction.

A range restriction (whether local or global)  on P says within its scope that

All y. Exists x . invP(y,x) --> RangeClass(y)

If we then say for some subclass

All x . C(x) AND P(x,y) --> AnotherClass(y)

If AnotherClass and RangeClass are disjoint, then the restriction is unsatisfiable and hence C is unsatisfiable.
However, if AnotherClass and RangeClass are not disjoint, there is no error.  We have simply shown that

    exists x. C(x) --> exists y . AnotherClass(y) & RangeClass(y)

>From this we can infer nothing about all y . AnotherClass(y), i.e. about the classification of AnotherClass

On the other hand.

If we use a domain constraint, then we have said:

all x . exists y. P(x,y) --> DomainClass(x)

Therefore if we say for AnotherClass

all x . AnotherClass(x) --> exists y . P(x,y)

we can infer DomainClass(x), and since the x is universally quantified, we can infer

all x. AntherClass(x) --> DomainClass(x)

i.e that DomainClass subsumes AnotherClass, or that AnotherClass should be 'coerced' to DomainClass.  If DomainClass and AnotherClass are elsewhere declared disjoint, then this produces a contradiction.  Otherwise it is just a (possibly unexpected) inference.

I don't' care what we call this issue, and I don't think it is actually as high a priority as other things, but it is an item for the "problems and pitfalls" section because there is clash between the intuitions of those coming from different backgrounds.

Regards

Alan