Should 'filter' really apply to <mask>?

From: Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:27:15 +0200
To: "public-svg-wg@w3.org" <public-svg-wg@w3.org>
Should 'filter' apply to the <mask> element itself (as currently
specified)? I've tested in Batik, Firefox, Webkit and Opera. None of them
applies the filter to the <mask> element (of course it works fine when
applied to child elements of the <mask>).

I suspect this is a similar issue to the 'opacity' property, that we
clarified in SVG 1.1F2 to have no effect on the <mask> element.

I've attached an example testcase.

filter-on-mask.svg
(image/svg+xml attachment: filter-on-mask.svg)