Re: <title> containing markup

On Sunday, March 22, 2009, 10:30:30 AM, Cameron wrote:

CM> One aspect of SVG-in-text/html that we discussed recently was that we
CM> would request that <title> be parsed as RCDATA.  Sam Ruby points out
CM> that SVG 1.1 states that <title> “can contain marked-up text from other
CM> namespaces”[1].  I don’t think I remembered/realised that SVG 1.1 said
CM> that at the time.

It said this to allow extensibility, and also because the I18N Core WG recommends that human-readable text be element content not attributes, specifically so that it can contain markup (eg to indicate the language, where it contains multilingual text).

CM>   SVG Tiny 1.2, on the other hand, says that it must
CM> contain just text.

We did this because people were asking for specifics of how an SVG implementation would handle every possible case, including a title element containing a complete html document with tables, lists, etc.

The path of least resistance, infortunately, was to remove the capability to have any markup. Yes, that removes the I18N feature as well.

CM>  Does this impact our decision?

CM> I’m wondering also if someone could tell me the exact i18n problems
CM> allowing markup rather than plain text solves.  Do the Unicode bidi
CM> control characters (like RLE, PDF, etc.) not allow you to do everything
CM> you need to?

They let you change direction. They don't let you say what the language is of substrings. I guess the canonical use case is a title containing two characters, one Chinese and one Japanese, which have been unified in Unicode and which are typically rendered with different glyphs depending on the language.

CM>   If there isn’t a compelling reason here to allow markup,
CM> then I’m in favour of keeping our request for it to be parsed as RCDATA
CM> in HTML 5.

CM> [1] http://intertwingly.net/blog/2009/03/20/Accessible#c1237676209

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead