<title> containing markup

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 20:30:30 +1100
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org
One aspect of SVG-in-text/html that we discussed recently was that we
would request that <title> be parsed as RCDATA.  Sam Ruby points out
that SVG 1.1 states that <title> “can contain marked-up text from other
namespaces”[1].  I don’t think I remembered/realised that SVG 1.1 said
that at the time.  SVG Tiny 1.2, on the other hand, says that it must
contain just text.  Does this impact our decision?

I’m wondering also if someone could tell me the exact i18n problems
allowing markup rather than plain text solves.  Do the Unicode bidi
control characters (like RLE, PDF, etc.) not allow you to do everything
you need to?  If there isn’t a compelling reason here to allow markup,
then I’m in favour of keeping our request for it to be parsed as RCDATA
in HTML 5.

[1] http://intertwingly.net/blog/2009/03/20/Accessible#c1237676209