ISSUE-2235 (4x4-matrix): Consider using 4x4 matrices over 3x3 [Module: Transforms]

From: SVG Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:35:02 -0400 (EDT)
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org

ISSUE-2235 (4x4-matrix): Consider using 4x4 matrices over 3x3 [Module: Transforms]

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2235

Raised by: Doug Schepers
On product: Module: Transforms

Per http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2009JanMar/0148.html

[[
* I suggest you stick with 4x4 matrices over 3x3. I wouldn't let the
fact that OpenVG is 3x3 (is it? I read this in the minutes but didn't
check) impact the decision. Cameron says that "general 3d effects are
not useful" - maybe I misunderstood that? I guess I'm unclear as to
the goal: is it to add a transforms capability that is compatible with
OpenVG? If so, why? Or is the goal to add simple perspective
transforms to SVG?

I'll also note that Apple has shipped a mobile product that supports
arbitrary 4x4 matrix transforms applied to SVG content since about
July last year.
]]