Re: text-ws-02-t and nbsp glyph

On Friday, February 6, 2009, 5:59:48 PM, Erik wrote:

ED> I wonder if the text-ws-02-t.svg[2] test is correct.

ED> The testcase text-ws-02-t.svg[2] uses the SVGFreeSansASCII font,
ED> which doesn't have a glyph for the nonbreaking space. This causes
ED> a fontswitch in Opera, and the second line therefore looks different from the first line.

Interesting that a fallback font is used not just for the needed character, but for all subsequent ones.

ED> Should an SVGFont claim to have the nonbreaking-space glyph even
ED> though it doesn't if there is a space glyph?

Where does it "claim" to have this glyph?

Unicode-range is not a claim of coverage. Its the inverse: its a claim of non-coverage of the space outside that range. (Which is useful, if the font does in fact have glyphs, but you don't want to use them, for example if they are ugly.)

Often the order of font families is used to provide a priority. For example if you have a font A which as Latin glyphs, and a font B which has Japanese and Latin, but the Latin is not very nice, then you can say

font-family: A, B;

However if C has Latin and bad Japanaese Katakana, for example, then you can't say

font-family: C, A

because the bad kana will be used, and you can't say

font-family: A, C

because then the bad Latin will be used.

Unicode-range can be used to exclude the undesired character ranges in both fonts.

ED> I think the test should either not use nbsp or we need to add the
ED> nbsp glyph to the SVGFreeSansASCII font.

Yes, adding a glyph for nbsp (same one as for space) is the correct fix here.
Which we already agreed on the telcon. But I wanted to address the "claim" argument above.

ED> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/text.html#WhiteSpace
ED> [2] http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/test/svg/text-ws-02-t.svg

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead