Re: Non-Animatable Properties (was: Closing ACTION-2276)

On Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 8:43:18 PM, Doug wrote:

DS> Hi, Chris, others-

DS> Chris Lilley wrote (on 10/10/08 3:14 PM):

>> This email relates to ACTION-2276 Respond to Fantasia on ISSUE-2058
>> saying we added direction, unicode-bidi and a test

>> and

>> ISSUE-2058 Lack of BIDI 'direction'

>> I sent an email to Fantasia with cc to the other lists, indicating
>> that we agreed with her comment and had updated the spec accordingly
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Oct/0070.html

DS> Cameron's make script warns about these both, because they are not
DS> animatable:
DS> [[
DS> Dubious: non-animatable property 'direction' found.
DS> Dubious: non-animatable property 'unicode-bidi' found.
DS> ]]

DS> This seems to be an assumption in the make script that thinks that all
DS> properties should be animatable.  I don't know if this is a spurious
DS> assumption, or if perhaps we should examine whether that's true.

It seems to be an unjustified assumption.

DS> Your text and schema certainly matches the values from SVG 1.1, where it
DS> was also not animatable, but I couldn't think why that should be. What
DS> is the rationale for them not being animatable?

I don't know. However, since we agreed to restore this feature from 1.1, I did exactly what 1.1 did.

DS> It's not a big deal either way, but I was curious because of the warning
DS> flag.

That warning does not have any spec to back it up.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG