Non-Animatable Properties (was: Closing ACTION-2276)

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:43:18 -0400
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: public-svg-wg@w3.org

Hi, Chris, others-

Chris Lilley wrote (on 10/10/08 3:14 PM):

> This email relates to ACTION-2276 Respond to Fantasia on ISSUE-2058
> saying we added direction, unicode-bidi and a test
>
> and
>
> ISSUE-2058 Lack of BIDI 'direction'
>
> I sent an email to Fantasia with cc to the other lists, indicating
> that we agreed with her comment and had updated the spec accordingly
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Oct/0070.html

Cameron's make script warns about these both, because they are not
animatable:
[[
Dubious: non-animatable property 'direction' found.
Dubious: non-animatable property 'unicode-bidi' found.
]]

This seems to be an assumption in the make script that thinks that all
properties should be animatable.  I don't know if this is a spurious
assumption, or if perhaps we should examine whether that's true.

Your text and schema certainly matches the values from SVG 1.1, where it
was also not animatable, but I couldn't think why that should be.  What
is the rationale for them not being animatable?

It's not a big deal either way, but I was curious because of the warning
flag.

Regards-
-Doug