RE: Printing at a given scale

Chris Lilley [mailto:chris@w3.org] wrote :

> This can be done already by specifying the width and height of the
> image, and also providing a viewBox that sets up the map-coordinates
> to physical-coordinates relationship.
> Another thing that is useful in that context is the SVG mapping
> metadata:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/coords.html#GeographicCoordinates

Oh, yes, I agree you can have a complete control on what part of the drawing
the user will see, in terms of drawing coordinates or even of geographic
coordinates in SVG1.1.

But on the subject of printing, I think that's not enough to manage
rendering scale : you also need to have complete control on or information
about physical aspects of the support, e.g. at least a way to map your
drawing units to paper units.

You may answer that it's not SVG's responsability to take care of this, but
from an user point of view, I think there is a need for this.

> Any publicly accessible use of SVG there that you could point me to?
> Its always good to see real-world examples, especially from industry
> and government.

I'd be delighted to give you this kind of thing, but unfortunately there
isn't yet.
From what I'm aware of, there are two projets under developpement running
here :
- one is about an intranet application for managing highways maintenance
- the other is about distributing public information about traffic
conditions, like this :
http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/tigron/tigron6.htm (currently based
on Java applet). But this one isn't going on very quickly...

Bye,

Robert