Re: ODF 1.2 and SVG

On Thursday, February 26, 2009, 11:20:11 AM, Robin wrote:

RB> On Feb 25, 2009, at 22:56 , Andreas Neumann wrote:
>> The Oasis people are discussing new features in ODF "Next". ODF 1.1
>> and 1.2 already have certain subsets of SVG in its file format (see http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.1/OS/OpenDocument-v1.1.pdf)
>>  - grep for SVG (mainly in attributes not in elements ;-() ODF also
>> uses the SVG path syntax and many other SVG attributes.

RB> Do you think there's a chance of getting them to stop using SVG in a
RB> way I can only describe as pretty much completely wrong? They're
RB> taking SVG attributes and putting them in the SVG namespace, even
RB> though the SVG spec never defines those. It's not exactly a great
RB> example of XML reuse.

In fact they contacted us and we asked them to not do that, but to put them in their own namespace, since they are using them in a way not defined by the SVG spec.

Of course it would be even better if they allowed svg as a child element, for graphics.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG