Re: SVG IG Hackathon

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:58:34 +0100
Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2009, at 15:51 , Rob wrote:
> > That's pretty generic but the intention is to have multiple small
> > gatherings that work with established projects. Having gatherings
> > works well in larger cities. So Perl users in Houston fits well.

Thanks, Rob, for clarifying what I was talking about. I should have
been more clear in my email.

> I agree that that's a good target. Some many years ago I tried
> starting SVG Monger groups. We had a few meetings of Paris.sm but
> then it petered out. The people who attended were mostly Perl people
> who came in for the beer and interesting chat, but only used so much
> SVG. I agree that piggy backing other user groups is a more viable
> option for the moment.
>
> > Glad to hear there's some interest out there with Perl users. What
> > about focusing on the SVG Perl module Wade mentioned getting some
> > time at a user group meeting for someone to show what they've got
> > so far and then have people actually work on fixing bugs or adding
> > features right there?
>
> Wade: if that's the goal I would focus the outreach effort on groups
> that have technical meetings and not just social ones as they're
> more likely to be able to pull off this sort of thing. One thing that
> would be good outreach material to have is a prepared presentation
> on "Practical SVG: The SVG You Can Use For Real Today" or something
> along those lines that can convince people who don't necessarily care
> about which tech is used that they can use SVG today, and not have to
> wait.

Since I'm part of Houston.pm, I figured I could ping the list directly.
Based on some of the responses, I may be putting together a
presentation like what you are suggesting. (It might have to wait a
bit, I'm giving the second monthly presentation in a row
tonight.<shrug/>)

The other list I hit is a general list for the leaders of Perl Monger
groups. I thought they would know their members and meetings styles
best.

The main reasons I reported back were to let everyone know that there
is some interest and to find out what support we are talking about. I
didn't think we could do much, but I don't want to over- or
under-promise and generate negative PR.

I'll see what I can do about cultivating some of these contacts to see
what we can get going. At a minimum, I would think we could announce
events on Planet SVG and help raise visibility.

It may also be worth checking with other technical user groups
(languages, OSs, tools, etc.) to see who might be interested.

One of the most encouraging responses was basically "I had heard about
SVG and was interested, but haven't done anything yet." Some of these
look like real opportunities.

I'll keep the group posted.
G. Wade
--
Perl isn't really about safety. It's about getting where you're going,
and enjoying the trip. It's more important to be a good driver than to