Re: SVG IG Hackathon

On Feb 10, 2009, at 15:51 , Rob wrote:
> That's pretty generic but the intention is to have multiple small
> gatherings that work with established projects. Having gatherings
> works well in larger cities. So Perl users in Houston fits well.

I agree that that's a good target. Some many years ago I tried
starting SVG Monger groups. We had a few meetings of Paris.sm but then
it petered out. The people who attended were mostly Perl people who
came in for the beer and interesting chat, but only used so much SVG.
I agree that piggy backing other user groups is a more viable option
for the moment.

> Glad to hear there's some interest out there with Perl users. What
> about focusing on the SVG Perl module Wade mentioned getting some
> time at a user group meeting for someone to show what they've got so
> far and then have people actually work on fixing bugs or adding
> features right there?

Wade: if that's the goal I would focus the outreach effort on groups
that have technical meetings and not just social ones as they're more
likely to be able to pull off this sort of thing. One thing that would
be good outreach material to have is a prepared presentation on
"Practical SVG: The SVG You Can Use For Real Today" or something along
those lines that can convince people who don't necessarily care about
which tech is used that they can use SVG today, and not have to wait.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/