Re: SVG IG Hackathon

On Feb 11, 2009, at 00:02 , G. Wade Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:58:34 +0100 Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
> wrote:
>> Wade: if that's the goal I would focus the outreach effort on groups
>> that have technical meetings and not just social ones as they're
>> more likely to be able to pull off this sort of thing. One thing that
>> would be good outreach material to have is a prepared presentation
>> on "Practical SVG: The SVG You Can Use For Real Today" or something
>> along those lines that can convince people who don't necessarily care
>> about which tech is used that they can use SVG today, and not have to
>> wait.
>
> Since I'm part of Houston.pm, I figured I could ping the list
> directly.

Sure. I know that there is some interest in Paris.pm, and I'm sure
that we could scare up some people from London.pm.

> Based on some of the responses, I may be putting together a
> presentation like what you are suggesting. (It might have to wait a
> bit, I'm giving the second monthly presentation in a row
> tonight.<shrug/>)

I'm a little too busy to be very useful right now, but if you start
putting together a presentation I'll be happy to help with what I can.
I think we generally need more show of SVG as a pragmatic option.

> The other list I hit is a general list for the leaders of Perl Monger
> groups. I thought they would know their members and meetings styles
> best.

That's not necessarily certain. Some leaders pass through everything,
others close to nothing. PM groups normally have some degree of
eccentricity that makes guessing what someone in the group might be
interested difficult.

> I'll see what I can do about cultivating some of these contacts to see
> what we can get going. At a minimum, I would think we could announce
> events on Planet SVG and help raise visibility.

That would certainly be useful.

> It may also be worth checking with other technical user groups
> (languages, OSs, tools, etc.) to see who might be interested.

One company that regularly organises tech meets that tend to be
successful is Yahoo; does anyone have good contacts? See how SVG could
fit into YUI would be interesting.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/