Re: EMMA in Speech API (was RE: Speech API: first editor's draft posted)

From: Satish S <satish@google.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 22:54:53 +0100
To: "Young, Milan" <Milan.Young@nuance.com>
Cc: Deborah Dahl <dahl@conversational-technologies.com>, Hans Wennborg <hwennborg@google.com>, "olli@pettay.fi" <olli@pettay.fi>, Bjorn Bringert <bringert@google.com>, Glen Shires <gshires@google.com>, "public-speech-api@w3.org" <public-speech-api@w3.org>

> Implementations SHOULD expose the following:****
>
>   * <emma:interpretation> tag(s) populated with the interpretation (e.g.
> emma:literal or slot values)****
>
>   * The following attributes on the <emma:interpretation> tag: id,
> emma:process, emma:tokens, emma:medium, emma:mode.

The EMMA spec doesn't mention that implementations SHOULD include these
nodes and attributes. The scope of our CG is to produce the JS API and
charter also says "Specification of HTML markup and a network speech
protocol are out-of-scope of this Community Group." - so additions such as
the above recommending certain format of EMMA data seem out of scope of our
CG. We should bring up these in the MMI WG.

Milan's first proposal "A string representation of the XML-based <link>EMMA
1.0</link> result." seems like the right language to me. We could also have
a non-normative section showing an example EMMA XML for the single result
scenario with all these attributes as that would be useful.

--
Cheers
Satish