Re: Relation between SPARQL OWL 2 Direct Semantics Entailment Regime and SPARQL-DL

Quick answer from memory as I'm prepping a lecture.

On 6 Apr 2011, at 13:15, Thorsten Möller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I tried to find information about the relationship between using SPARQL under the SPARQL OWL 2 Direct Semantics Entailment Regime [1] and SPARQL-DL [2], in terms of expressive power and their semantics. As far as I can see they seem to be quite similar,

Yep.

> both syntactically and in terms of semantic entailment.

Yep. Main differences will show up in BNode and Datatype handling. SPARQL/OWL2 also disallows non-distinguished variables.

> Am I right that they can be considered equivalent, provided that one adopts the usual OWA and not(UNA)?

There are likely to be differences around the margins (unsuprisingly; SPARQL/OWL2 is much more extensively specced), but by and large they should behave the same.

Cheers,
Bijan.