Re: Relation between SPARQL OWL 2 Direct Semantics Entailment Regime and SPARQL-DL

From: Thorsten Möller <Thorsten.Moeller@unibas.ch>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:43:20 +0200
To: <public-sparql-dev@w3.org>
First of all, thanks for the prompt reply!

On Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:36 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk> wrote (with possible deletions):

> Quick answer from memory as I'm prepping a lecture.
>
> On 6 Apr 2011, at 13:15, Thorsten Möller wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I tried to find information about the relationship between using
>> SPARQL under the SPARQL OWL 2 Direct Semantics Entailment Regime [1]
>> and SPARQL-DL [2], in terms of expressive power and their semantics.
>> As far as I can see they seem to be quite similar,
>
> Yep.
>
>> both syntactically and in terms of semantic entailment.
>
> Yep. Main differences will show up in BNode and Datatype handling.
> SPARQL/OWL2 also disallows non-distinguished variables.
I know that SPARQL/OWL2 is in draft state, so things may change. Still,
could you detail this, please, especially the datatype handling. Also,
the SPARQL-DL paper states that bnodes in the query (as well as the
underlying RDF graph?) are treated as non-distinguished variables. Is
that different for SPARQL/OWL2; does it refer to Skolemization. The
difference is still not entirely clear to me.

Thanks again,
Thorsten