Re: Implementations using "compositional semantics"

From: Andrew Newman <andrewfnewman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 07:14:09 +1000
To: "Jeen Broekstra" <jeen.broekstra@aduna-software.com>
Cc: "Richard Cyganiak" <richard@cyganiak.de>, "Olaf Hartig" <OleBowle@gmx.de>, public-sparql-dev@w3.org, "Arjohn Kampman" <arjohn.kampman@aduna-software.com>
On 6/23/06, Jeen Broekstra <jeen.broekstra@aduna-software.com> wrote:

> For Sesame [2] we (actually, mostly Arjohn) are currently working on
> creating an RDF query object model in Java of which the components map
> 1:1 to relational algebra operators (actually this is very much based on
> the work in the paper by Gutierrez that Olaf mentioned).
>
> This is work in progress though, I'm hoping to share more details when
> we've got the implementation ready.

This is very similar to the approach that I've been working on all
year in JRDF.  I've attached a Progress Report I had to do for
assignment outlining the ideas.  I've done some more work on this
since mainly expanding on the work done by Galindo-Legaria especially:
"Using EELs, a Practical Approach to Outerjoin and Antijoin
Reordering" and "View Matching for Outer-Join Views" (which has an
approach of doing minimum union with SQL).

I've yet to compare fully the approach listed by Gutierrez though (and
might not get time considering I still have code to write).