Re: SPARQL/SQL/D2R/dbview (un)scheduled topic chat 8 Jun minutes/record

From: Chimezie Ogbuji <ogbujic@bio.ri.ccf.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:21:00 -0400 (EDT)
To: Chris Bizer <bizer@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, public-sparql-dev@w3.org, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>, "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>, Elias Torres <eliast@us.ibm.com>, Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>, "'Richard Cyganiak'" <richard@cyganiak.de>, danbri@danbri.org, danny.ayers@gmail.com, Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@urjc.es>

My appologies to those who get this email twice but I wasn't certain all
the recipients were subscribed to public-sparql-dev for the purpose of
this topic.  I'll redirect all subsequent responses to public-sparql-dev.

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006, Chris Bizer wrote:

> Chimezie, if you need any support in implementing D2R in Python, let Richard or me know and we will support you where we can.

Excellent! I was initially discouraged from attempting such
an implementation but I very recently wrote (I'll add the links to the
Wiki) a mapping from Basic Triple Patterns to SQL commands (generated
dynamically from an abstract representation of the target SQL schema) that
got my feet wet enough to where I don't think it would be too difficult a
prospect - especially given how expressive the D2RQ mapping language is.

In my case the mapping was from basic triple patterns to a *specific*
SQL schema optimized with efficient N3 persistence in mind, but extending this
infrastructure to translate those same triple patterns to SQL queries
against an arbitrary SQL schema mapped to RDF via D2RQ should be straight
forward and could feasibly reuse alot of the utility methods I ended up
having to create for various SQL nuances/caveats.

I'm still wrapping my head around the mapping language and doing some
preliminary design so I appreciate the sentiment and will redirect any
questions / insights / difficulties I run into.

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Cleveland Clinic Foundation