AW: SPARQL/SQL/D2R/dbview (un)scheduled topic chat 8 Jun minutes/record

From: Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:55:54 +0200
To: "'Dan Brickley'" <danbri@danbri.org>, "'Chris Bizer'" <bizer@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc: "'Dan Connolly'" <connolly@w3.org>, <public-sparql-dev@w3.org>, "'Tim Berners-Lee'" <timbl@w3.org>, "'Seaborne, Andy'" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>, "'Eric Prud'hommeaux'" <eric@w3.org>, "'Elias Torres'" <eliast@us.ibm.com>, "'Chimezie Ogbuji'" <ogbujic@bio.ri.ccf.org>, "'Richard Cyganiak'" <richard@cyganiak.de>, <danny.ayers@gmail.com>, "'Axel Polleres'" <axel.polleres@urjc.es>, <bastian@quilitz.de>

Hi all,

Dan Brickley, Bastian Quilitz (HP Labs Bristol), Alex Polleres (Universidad
Rey Juan Carlos) and I meet for lunch at ESWC Tuesday and discussed about
database to RDF mapping, SPARQL endpoint descriptions and federated SPARQL
queries.

Dan Brickley has some connections to the MusicBrainz people and we discussed
mapping their database to an SPARQL-endpoint, which might inspire some nice
mashups. The problem is that D2R server currently answers all queries
(including dump database) which opens up a wide gate for denial-of-service
attacks. We want to fix this in the next version. Anybody good ideas for a
"query capability restriction language"?

Bastian Quilitz has implemented a version of ARQ which routes queries to
different data sources. His code supports distributed joins. He is also
working on a format for SPARQL-endpoint descriptions and promised to publish
something about his work soon. He knows Richard Cyganiak and they want to
hack a demo that answers SPARQL queries over several relational database
which are mapped to SPARQL endpoints using D2R server. Maybe we can also
reuse some of his work on SPARQL-endpoint descriptions for restricting query
capabilities.

We further discussed requirements for a SPARQL endpoint description language

(there seams to be plenty).

As TODOs, we agreed that everybody should add requirements and related work
to the following two wiki pages:

Database to RDF mapping http://esw.w3.org/topic/RdfAndSql
SPARQL endpoint description
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SparqlEndpointDescription

Later, we want to aggregate the requirements into a set of evaluation
criteria for comparing the different approaches.

Dan, Alex and Bastian, did I forget something?

Cheers

Chris

--
Chris Bizer