Re: Social data /syntax/ vs Social data /vocabulary/

what about:

On 2014-09-21, 9:00, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ wrote:
>>> Now, there is an open question of should we be defining a /syntax/ or a
>>> /vocabulary*/?

we need both.

- a vocabulary is the set of concepts that are meaningful for the
relevant domain. you can define a vocabulary in some existing metamodel
framework, or do it ad hoc. both choices have good and bad side-effects.

- a syntax is a representation that has well-defined rules how to
serialize a vocabulary instance into the representation, and how to
parse a representation into the domain model. without a syntax, you
cannot have protocols or other ways of exchanging data.

> Could we try clarify this distinction between /syntax/ and /vocabulary/
> before tuesday call?

is the above distinction clear enough? for AS1, it was pretty clear:

- the vocabulary was in an ad hoc metamodel, and thus there was little
baggage (but also little out-of-the-box support) associated with it.

- the syntaxes were JSON and Atom, and for both syntaxes it was defined
how the vocabulary model maps to the syntax model.

cheers,

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:dret@berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |