Re: Proposal: Keep Group Unified, Don't Divide into Taskforces

On 26 Feb 2009, at 19:57, Harry Halpin wrote:

> I feel the proposed charter may be too large, due to having too many
> deliverables (15 at my last count). A smaller charter with (5)
> deliverables was written earlier.

I agree with Harry, and I indicated so earlier [1] - from my current
experiences in running an XG.

This is not to say that what was has been proposed is not valuable,
but taken in the context of a W3C Incubator Group, the current scope
is significantly more than most W3C multi-year multi-working group
Activities.

Event the smaller charter [2] can be modified to include the core
outputs:
  1 - Use Case/Requirements
  2 - State-of-the-Art Report (best practices)
  3 - Final Report (next steps)

I also strongly believe that the Policy/Privacy/Trust work simply be
moved to the W3C PLING Interest Group (as argued in [1]) as the
evaluation of the XG Charter [3] stipulates:

"It is desirable to take ideas related to specific technology
solutions that are already being worked on elsewhere (within or
outside of the W3C) back to the place in which the work is taking place"

I suspect this will be a major discussion point at the teleconference
next week.

Cheers...  Renato Iannella
NICTA

[1] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-social-web-talk/2009Feb/0046.html