Re: New, Unified XG Proposal

Hi all,

My initial opinion was :
> I would join, INRIA is a W3C member, and I would personally spend time
> in the XG and I could even propose help for chairing and/or edition if
> needed.
> (...)
> I believe XGs should be focused and therefore the question of one or
> two XG depends on the density of the content of their charters.
> But I have no strong opinion on having one or two groups otherwise.
> (...)
> One XG => one telecon ; two XG => two telecons.
> One mailing list.
I just went through the "New, Unified XG Proposal" which is a very nice
piece of work by the way (thanks to the editors !).
That being said, after a few minutes reading it I went straight back to
the top to check whether it was still an XG charter or it had become a
WG charter.  O:-)
In other words I don't think this document is the charter of what could
be called a "focused XG".
My opinion is that there is material here for several XG having their
own telecons. Now if we were to go for one XG with several TFs I would
very strongly recommend having one cycle of telecons per TF i.e. each TF
should have at least its own monthly telecon.

Now concerning the content of the document itself I have two points:
(1) “It is not required that all task forces begin at the start of the
incubator's approval by the W3C. There may be delays either due to lack
of appropriate leader or contributors, or lack of time on behalf of the
workgroup's members.”
I would disagree with having this in the charter. I believe we should
not include a Task Force / Deliverable if we cannot put a reasonable
list of names of committed people in front of it. A trace of such
possible topic should be kept in the reports of the “Landscape Task
Force”, but hollow task forces never worked in my past experiences.
(2) I volunteered to work on some of the deliverables of
“Interoperability Task Force” (just because I miss the good all time
with Harry in the GRDDL WG ;-) )

My one cent and a half,

Cheers,

--