Re: state of the art

Hi Paola,

Its hard for me to enter the discussion - please use URIs while you talk
some terms mentioned don't ring a tone...

also, I ask critically:
* where is your current publicly-editable state-of-the-art collection? *
I like the idea of a collection of state-of-the-art, and will
contribute, but only if I can edit myself and am sure that the
state-of-the-art will be there the next years in public domain.
The place where I am sure that it will remain open, and which is already
the place where all other discussions about the Semantic Web happen, is
the ESW wiki.
I added a page here for you:
 http://esw.w3.org/topic/SemanticWebUsability

Dan Brikley will probably also agree to write there, he is
kind-of-attached to that wiki anyway.

About the actual topic of discussion:

I would propose to ignore 3) becauswe i18n is interesting, but given the
infant stage of semantic web, the assumption that the baby can already
speak multiple languages is ambitious.

Rather, take exsiting tools and compare them against the vision -
 can your grandma find a doctor in her neighbourhood that will accept
her Health Insurance and treat her illness?
(This was the guiding example of "The Semantic Web", 2001, Timbl et al)
so - can facetted browisng help?
can xy help?

etc.

best
Leo

I would also humbly suggest to look at the usability concerns that are
addressed in KDE 4.0, which has an RDF based metadata layer.
In our NEPOMUK project we are currently working on the biggest
deployment of Semantic Web technology (especially RDF) ever, reaching
half of all linux users... much usability to study there.

It was paola.dimaio@gmail.com who said at the right time 02.09.2008
16:32 the following words:
> Thanks, Andreas
> Just finished watching it, and have embedded it in our pages
>
> Why dont you make a video on faceted browsing if you have work done in
> that area?
>
> Questions (assume AB is on this list still, but anyone can answer) and
> some thoughts tha come to mind,
>
> 1. is there a relationship between NLReduce and CE (controlled English)
> 2. assuming that these tools being discussed work with unstructured
> information (not published on the web in rdf/owl) - does that show
> that 'reasoning' can be done by the tool, not requiring the content to
> be expressed in owl/rdf?
> 2a. if so, can these tools be used to create ontologies, if they
> provided a functionality that allows users to add, say, axioms and or
> translate the NL process into some level of formalised logic?
> (I am referring to querix, for example, which allows users to select
> statements such as biggest city by population vs biggest by area - if
> expert users could interact with a tool, by browsing the web or
> selected knowledge bases? - can an ontology be inferred using
> the reasoning of an expert user if the tool is set up to capture the
> inferences and match them against existing ontologies/KBases?
> (I am thinking how can an ontology be captured/expressed without using rdf/owl)
>
> 3.  should we carry out this study (or similar ones) with interfaces
> in different languages, and in different countries, and see if the
> results are comparable? (this would come under the scope of our
> current interest with the global perspective)
>

> I have got more questions but they are still scrambled in my mind
>
> PDM
>

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 5:46 AM, Andreas Harth <andreas.harth@deri.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> there's been a recent TechTalk from Abraham Bernstein
>> comparing four user interaction styles for Semantic Web
>> data [1].  Unfortunately, faceted browsing is not covered.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andreas.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7722731037369115140&ei=jzW9SMHJFof2iQLXxpHcDA&q=abraham+bernstein&vt=lf
>>

>> paola.dimaio@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Dan
>>> thanks for reply
>>> sorry the scope of my q is not obvious (tunnel vision from my end)
>>>
>>> Semantic Web Usability state of the art
>>> Basically from what I see,  it is an  issue  - there is this list,
>>> there have been events like the recent workshop in Florence, people
>>> are paying attention to usability, but - correct me if I am wrong -
>>> it is still notional, in the sense that there are no 'guidelines' ,
>>> and to some extent usability of semantic technologies is still not
>>> 'defined', nor there are methodologies to help developers face the
>>> challenges etc
>>>
>>> is it correct? can we say that the BOK in this domain is more or less
> [...]

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann@dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313