Re: state of the art

Leo, thanks for your reply

> Its hard for me to enter the discussion - please use URIs while you talk
> some terms mentioned don't ring a tone...

sorry - which terms? I thought I spelled everything out, please tell
me which terms need pointing

maybe the url of the wiki?
http://swuiwiki.webscience.org/index.php/Main_Page

> also, I ask critically:
> * where is your current publicly-editable state-of-the-art collection? *
> I like the idea of a collection of state-of-the-art, and will contribute,
> but only if I can edit myself and am sure that the state-of-the-art will be
> there the next years in public domain.

I think the current wiki can be edited by anyone - I got a password to
I think - also, we can cross link,  as long as we can point
to somewhere which exists (!)

> The place where I am sure that it will remain open, and which is already the
> place where all other discussions about the Semantic Web happen, is the ESW
> wiki.
> I added a page here for you:
>  http://esw.w3.org/topic/SemanticWebUsability

thanks a lot, why not, i ll add the linx

> Dan Brikley will probably also agree to write there, he is kind-of-attached
> to that wiki anyway.
>
> About the actual topic of discussion:
>
> I would propose to ignore 3) becauswe i18n is interesting, but given the
> infant stage of semantic web, the assumption that the baby can already speak
> multiple languages is ambitious.

I am interested in all views, and I dont mind if you think that 3
should be ignored HOWEVER'
you can tech a baby to be ethnocentric, or you can teach the baby
conceptual pluralism before he starts to talk

it's tough either way being a parent, I guess

> Rather, take exsiting tools and compare them against the vision -
>  can your grandma find a doctor in her neighbourhood that will accept her
> Health Insurance and treat her illness?

that probably depends on where my granma lives, what language she
speaks, and how intutivie is the web/browser technology
I rest my case on your own example

> (This was the guiding example of "The Semantic Web", 2001, Timbl et al)
> so - can facetted browisng help?
> can xy help?

I am sure there are a variety of approaches to solving a problem.....

> [...]
> current interest with the global perspective)
>

> I have got more questions but they are still scrambled in my mind
>
> PDM
>

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 5:46 AM, Andreas Harth <andreas.harth@deri.org>
> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> there's been a recent TechTalk from Abraham Bernstein
> comparing four user interaction styles for Semantic Web
> data [1].  Unfortunately, faceted browsing is not covered.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas.
>
> [1]
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7722731037369115140&ei=jzW9SMHJFof2iQLXxpHcDA&q=abraham+bernstein&vt=lf
>

> paola.dimaio@gmail.com wrote:
>

> Hi Dan
> thanks for reply
> sorry the scope of my q is not obvious (tunnel vision from my end)
>
> Semantic Web Usability state of the art
> Basically from what I see,  it is an  issue  - there is this list,
> there have been events like the recent workshop in Florence, people
> are paying attention to usability, but - correct me if I am wrong -
> it is still notional, in the sense that there are no 'guidelines' ,
> and to some extent usability of semantic technologies is still not
> 'defined', nor there are methodologies to help developers face the
> challenges etc
>
> is it correct? can we say that the BOK in this domain is more or less
> what is on the wiki that Max is migrating to semantic wiki?
> is there a write up anywhere that we can consider reasonably complete?
>
> I am asking all this, cause I am writing a paper for our forthcoming
> workshop, and would like to start with a 'state of the art' paragraph,
> and hoping to find something (that I can agree with) to point to as
> reference.
>
> Hope its reasonably unpacked question
> cheers
>

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:36 AM, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
>

> paola.dimaio@gmail.com wrote:
>

> Greetings all
>
> is the a a SWUI state of the art summary anywhere? (hoping I dont have
> to write it myself) :-)
>

> Can you describe what the art is that you'd like summarised?
>
> cheers,
>
> Dan
>
> ps. I'd consider http://mqlx.com/~david/parallax/ pretty SOTA w.r.t. UI
> for
> RDFish data
>

> --
> http://swse.deri.org/
>

> --
> DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann
>
> Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
> Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
> Trippstadter Strasse 122
> P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
> D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
> Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann@dfki.de
>
> Geschaeftsfuehrung:
> Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)

Paola Di Maio
School of IT
www.mfu.ac.th