Re: 90 minutes with HCI researchers - what would you discuss?

It's worth repeating that the semantic web is as much of a knowledge systems architecture issue as anything- which requires a mega disciplinary approach. We've been working on it for a long time- pre commercialization of the Internet and each evolution since. I think we've resolved most of the issues to reach the minimal acceptable standard from the organization's perspective, which requires a holistic approach, but not necessarily the public Web.

The public web is far more difficult to achieve in large part because sharing knowledge very often clashes directly with the legal and fiduciary responsibility of the organization.

And of course the individual knowledge worker often has direct conflicts to include others stealing their work, or taking credit for it either internally or externally- a systemic problem in virtual and real worlds, but the virtual world has made it much easier, and in many ways rewarded the wrong type of behavior.

So to me discussing technical interoperability without including alignment of incentives, particularly relative to standardization and adoption, is frankly a waste of time and energy.

The broader issues involved have long been a problem across most disciplines in tech transfer, representing in part why it can be so challenging. The academic culture and incentives where many innovations occur is dramatically different than most of society. Knowledge systems architecture IMO takes all of this and much more into consideration- to transfer knowledge also means a transfer of resources with associated investment and cost. That can be a far more complex issue for everyone outside of the minority charged with sharing knowledge, than technical interoperability.

How long do we expect intelligent individuals to share their knowledge when they lack payment enjoyed by their colleagues, for example? Or to share within a large organization that rarely if ever rewards (psychologically or financially) those who contribute far more than the average? Does anyone really expect global organizations to share knowledge from say a $5bn investment in R&D without compensation? The latter could well be defined as an illegal act in much of the world, depending on the type of organization. Somehow these issues often get lost in the discussion, but are none-the-less essential if wide adoption is the goal.

I recently discussed this semi privately with Vint Cerf, where among other things I suggested that the semantic web is a much different prospect than his/colleague's fine work with IP and TBL's in the original W3 (I'm having difficulty adopting 1-3.0), which were based on the purity of numbers, and language was left to the user. The incentives for adoption of IP and HTTP were entirely different- indeed opposite in many respects from an economic perspective.

While some have come very far in their attempts to use AI in translating human languages, and the more recent standards are making solutions to these issues more possible than in the earlier attempts, we are still left with the structural disincentives for sharing knowledge on the public Internet/Web, both at the organizational level as well as individual. From a public web perspective, does it matter if AI formulas can automatically define and translate ontologies if negative consequences exist for those who share their most valuable knowledge?

Within especially large organizations, and formal relationships, absolutely. With the public which includes armies of competitive intelligence folks who will use the information to destroy a person's financial security, or organization, no.

As I and no doubt many others have often said, Karma has been slow to adopt to the network era- Karma is network challenged. Notice I carefully selected the word slow. Like any other medium, sustainable economics and associated modeling with incentives properly aligned must precede wide & sustainable adoption. .02- MM