Re: 90 minutes with HCI researchers - what would you discuss?

>>> But can you describe what unique contributions the Semantic Web
>>> field has to offer to concerns currently held by the HCI community?

in terms of this question specifically. the issues we are facing,
while trying to design user friendly (not data oriented systems as
Lloyd mentions below) information systems is suddenly the wealth of
knowledge that can be accessed.

suddenly the interconnected machine readable web could be used to get
whatever information the user wants. how do you build that kind of
interaction into an informatino system without having a sparql box in
the ui? before, our information systems were designed around
particular information stores, and interfaces were designed to convey
useful information in a predictable way. things like the tabulator
have started producing interactions that allow users to go endlessly
through the semantic web, but i think its just the tip of the iceberg
for producing free form interactions with such a broad network of
unpredicatble data.

so now HCI design has to convey useful information in an
unpredictable way - we dont know necessarily what sources are
available or what users want to ask of them.  we want to design
decent interactions that let people go on tangents, ask complex
questions, etc. these are opportunities that are being created by
semantic web technologies that will help bring the benefits of the
semantic web to real users.

its the openness and endlessness that is sourcing many new and
interesting hci (and IR) issues. it challenges many of our basic hci
assumptions (you might want to read [Wilson & schraefel, swui 2006]),
which are based on a closed world assumption.

max

On 7 May 2007, at 13:01, Lloyd Rutledge wrote:

> [...]
>> Semantic Web technology can do for the currently available
>> interfaces for various application areas, in reducing user's burden
>> for example.
>>
>> For another example, HCI folks in the field of IR and Information
>> Visualisation are working on visualizing temporal media such as
>> video.  In designing efficient interaction schemes for a large movie
>> archive, we want to provide a good overview of each movie before the
>> user have to play the whole movie for 2 hours.  Video retrieval
>> community offers automatic judicious selection of keyframes from the
>> movie, thus summarizing the 2-hour temporal medium into a
>> single-page, 50 miniaturised thumbnails of visual summary fully
>> automatically.  It also offers automatic extraction of the most
>> interesting or exciting sequences of the 2-hour movie and generate
>> 1-minute video summary.  In designing user-interface for movie
>> browsing, such summarization techniques can be directly used to help
>> the user in quickly getting overview of each movie.  Again, the
>> contribution that this particular technology can offer to HCI aspect
>> is very clear and obvious: it adds to the designer's options in
>> supporting the user's task of getting quick overview of the movies.
>
> Simile Timeline provides a timeline-based interface to SW.  The
> E-Culture demo provides a timeline interface in the context of museum
> artworks annotated with SW technology.  Video summarization,
> keyframing
> and hierarchy building are different, of course, but share a time-
> based
> interface to semantic annotations.  It makes a category and several
> subcategories of interface forms to the Semantic Web.
>
>> The recurring question in my case has been on how to take advantage
>> of these newly emerging technologies in multimedia in order to
>> support the end-users
>
> Here, of course, the challenge is to make sure that a technology
> that is newly made available also has a real use.
>
>> , but the answers to these have been relatively
>> straightforward because what the specific multimedia technology is
>> trying to do is often naturally such that HCI people can take away
>> and use to solve their problems.
>
> What brings about this user-centrism?  Is it intended by the
> developers?
>
>> I can imagine the HCI folks for
>> Semantic Web technology will probably think in the same way.
>
> On the other hand, they make this SW developers are building
> interfaces
> based on the underlying format rather than what real users want to
> see, such as with the Big Fat Graph problem [Karger and schraefel,
> SWUI 2006]
>
>> There
>> are also chain-reaction issues, in which once we adopt a technology
>> to reduce a main problem, another problems (although usually less
>> severe as the original one) occurs as an HCI challenge.  Hopefully
>> I'll have a chance to explain these later.

n - max wilson
e - mlw05r@ecs.soton.ac.uk
w - www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~mlw05r
t - +44 (0) 2380 598367