Re: Identifiers (was Notes from today's meeting)

Hi!

On 4 June 2013 07:45, N Juty <juty@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:

> The GO abbreviations and cross-referencing list is one of a few possible
> lists that could be used, but there would be overlap and inconsistencies in
> coverage and namespace assignments, especially when using more than one
> such list to bridge any gaps. [...]

  True. Perhaps we should consider supporting multiple such lists? Assuming
that there is no silver bullet, it might be a good compromise to optionally
support such abbreviation/prefix lists.

A lot of these lists are also 'static', with no real way to add new
> information.

  You can contact the list's maintainers. They especially ask for that. I
leave it open how convenient this method of communication is though...

> If we went down the route of a global 'authority', I would hope
> Identifiers.org would be a good candidate; [...]

  I agree. I still think it would be good to keep other possible solutions
at hand though, because it might otherwise look like we are pursuing vested
interests.

Joachim