Re: Identifiers (was Notes from today's meeting)

Hi,

The GO abbreviations and cross-referencing list is one of a few possible
lists that could be used, but there would be overlap and inconsistencies
in coverage and namespace assignments, especially when using more than
one such list to bridge any gaps. A lot of these lists are also
'static', with no real way to add new information.

If we went down the route of a global 'authority', I would hope
Identifiers.org would be a good candidate; we have gone to a lot of
effort in collating data from a variety of such cross-referencing lists.
Right now we are working on incorporating namespace, resource, regex
information, etc. from Michel's extensive list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmzqhEUDpIPvdFR0UFhDUTZJdnNYdnJwdHdvNVlJR1E#gid=0

In addition, since Identifiers.org has a dedicated curation team, we
regard ourselves as being quite responsive and proactive...

cheers

Nick

On 04/06/13 12:12, Joachim Baran wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 2013-06-04, at 5:27 AM, Alasdair J G Gray
> <Alasdair.Gray@manchester.ac.uk
> <mailto:Alasdair.Gray@manchester.ac.uk>> wrote:
>> Again, there is a scoping problem. Prefixes are locally scoped and
>> must be defined.
>   At least in life sciences, there are the Gene Ontology abbreviations
> for cross-referenced databases:
> http://www.geneontology.org/doc/GO.xrf_abbs
>
>   That document defines a wide range of prefixes, base URIs and URI
> templates for resolving relevant identifiers, and provides regexps for
> validating the syntax of identifiers.
>
>   I think that the GO xrefs are extremely useful and would be on
> Michel's side on including them.
>
> Best wishes,
> Joachim

Nick Juty