Re: reasoning on gene ontology

Hi Bin,

I have been playing around the GO and looking for interesting cases too. I
believe the reasoner could help for the following tasks:

1- Terms retrieval/search, as you pointed out, SW queries are more powerful
and intuitive than relational databases one.

2- Ontology re-factoring: When new terms are added by the curators, a
reasoner can check for inconsistencies.

3- GO annotations: Can help to check whether a series of annotations are
consistent and legitimate, or could re-map some annotations with a more
accurate term or remove the redundant annotations. However, you would need
to introduce some extra relations not present at the moment in GO (such as
'has_function' or something similar) and define how these relations
interact with the existing ones.

I found it difficult to generate useful biological deductions using the GO
as such, as the relations are existential restrictions, with limited
inferring potential in OWL. This is most-likely due to the fact that the GO
has been first designed to be species/system independent.

However, the relations used by the GO are coming from the Relation Ontology
(http://code.google.com/p/obo-relations/) and they could be re-used and
extended for different purposes. I am currently working on biological
pathways representations in OWL, and in this context it seems that you
could deduce much more, as you are dealing with a concrete system, problem
specific.

Hope it helps,

Samuel

--