  From: Chris Mungall
  To: bin chen
  Cc: public-semweb-lifesci
  Sent: Friday, April 06, 2012 4:20 PM
  Subject: Re: reasoning on gene ontology

  Hi Bin,

  We use OWL reasoning extensively within the GO consortium, primarily
  for automated classification of new terms, and for validation of the
  ontology and gene associations. For some more background, see
  PMID:20152934 and PMID:20973947 (note that in those papers we used
  some custom reasoning tools, but current implementations use OWL
  reasoners).

  There are not so many applications of non-trivial reasoning over GO
  outside the usual ontology development lifecycle use cases (but this
  is perhaps true of many ontologies). Most of the analysis and query
  tools that are currently in use perform a simple transitive closure
  over a subset of the relations, and barely count as
  reasoning. However, I expect this situation will slowly change as some
  of the more advanced axioms that allow for reasoning are
  publicized. There is a lot of work happening now that involves
  reasoning over collections of orthogonal OBO library ontologies to
  mine gene phenotype associations for example.

  I suppose it depends how you define reasoning - I assume here you mean
  it in strictly in the sense of deductive reasoning as employed by OWL
  and semantic web inference engines, rather than, say, probabilistic
  inference.

  Regards
  Chris