Re: My task from last week: Semantic free identifiers

From: Mark Wilkinson <markw@illuminae.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:13:11 -0700
To: "Matt Vagnoni" <matthew.vagnoni@uth.tmc.edu>
Cc: HCLS <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:53:51 -0700, Matt Vagnoni
<matthew.vagnoni@uth.tmc.edu> wrote:

> I tend to believe that "Perfect is the Enemy of Good".

Then perhaps my hesitance (where I suggested that my own argument was
possibly spurious) is a workable "Good" middle-ground?  The identifier
doesn't HAVE to be opaque, so long as there are multi-lingual labels...??
Then at least it's immediately readable for some subset of people.

I still feel queasy about it, but... if we're trying to compare "Perfect"
and "Good", then...??

The argument that Java didn't use language-neutral method names is a
compelling one for me.  hmmmm... I may be moving to the dark side of this
discussion!  ;-)  LOL!

Dr. Mark Wilkinson
Assistant Professor, Medical Genetics
PI Bioinformatics, Institute for Heart and Lung Health
St. Paul's Hospital/UBC
Vancouver, BC, Canada