Re: [Fwd: Re: cell types, brain regions mentioned in gensat]

Thanks, Alan.

I'd posted a question about this statement on that Wiki page.  It
didn't quite make sense to me but wanted to hear what it was
originally intended to assert.

This is partly why I think its a good idea to look at the simpler,
less expressive representation I have on the followup page.  I think
it will be easier for us to apply to the current data sets we have in
hand and to scale up.
	http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/OntologyTaskForce/
OboPhenotypeSyntaxExperiment

Cheers,
Bill

On Mar 2, 2007, at 3:37 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2007, at 1:59 PM, Kei Cheung wrote:
>

>> On that page, it describes the following OWL axiom example:
>>
>> *EquivalentClass*(CerebellarPurkinjeCell *intersectionOf*
>> (PurkinjeNeuron, *Restriction*(locatedInBrainRegion *allValuesFrom*
>> (Cerebellum)))
>>
>> We can use a similar axiom to define the localization of a certain
>> type of neuron cell type (CA1 pyramidal neuron) in a particular
>> brain region (e.g., hippocampus). Due to my limited knowledge of
>> OWL, can this type of axioms/rules be parameterized (e.g., cell
>> type and brain region can be treated as variables)?
>
> Not sure what you mean by parameterized here. Certainly we could,
> from a spreadsheet encoding this information, generate the
> appropriate classes.
>
> Also, in LSW or (dig) one can easily construct one of these classes
> on the fly and ask what the equivalent, subclasses, and
> superclasses are.
>
> To find all cells located in, e.g. Cerebellum you would ask for
> subclasses of
>
> intersectionOf*(Cell, *Restriction*(locatedInBrainRegion
> *allValuesFrom*(Cerebellum))
>
> Don't think I'd use locatedInBrainRegion though, probably just
> locatedIn, or partOf, or perhaps derivedFrom some PartOf if the
> cells were no longer in the brain (i.e. in a dish).
>
> -Alan

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy