Re: [Fwd: Re: cell types, brain regions mentioned in gensat]

The SenseLab cell type to region mapping will be a really good
start.  Thank's Kei.

This at least can start to describe what SenseLab has done in this
area.  This is a high value, expert vetted list.  I believe - however
- they've done much more than this list - however - re: terms used to
name cells.  This is why I include Luis Marenco on that email,
because he knows what SenseLab has beyond what is presented on this
page.  You will also note this page covers a much shorter list of
neuronal cell types than what is used in GENSAT - and very very few
brain regions.

I would also rather point to the other page I created:
	http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/OntologyTaskForce/
OboPhenotypeSyntaxExperiment

in regards to expressing the relation between cell type and brain
region.  It will be much more commensurable with the phenotype
assertions we are working on - and take much less work to produce
across a broader scope of brain regions & cell types.

Cheers,
Bill

On Mar 2, 2007, at 1:59 PM, Kei Cheung wrote:

> From: Kei Cheung <kei.cheung@yale.edu>
> Date: March 2, 2007 1:56:53 PM EST
> To: June Kinoshita <junekino@media.mit.edu>
> Cc: donald.doherty@brainstage.com,  Alan Ruttenberg
> <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, Gwen Wong <wonglabow@verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: cell types, brain regions mentioned in gensat
>

> Hi June et al.,
>
> I just got back to my office from a meeting, trying to catch up
> with the emails. Before I go to another meeting, I'd like to
> suggest the following URL for people to look at:
>
> http://senselab.med.yale.edu/senselab/NeuronDB/ndbRegions.asp?sr=1
>
> Although they are not a comprehensive lists of brain regions and
> neuron cell types for vetebrates, it could be a start (with
> mappings between the two lists).
>
> By reading the AD/PD use case, one of the questions has to do with
> what genes are expressed in what regions of the brain (if such gene
> expressions are localized to certain brain regions). I wonder what
> Alan's currently working on can help address this type of question
> (even though the kind of gene expression data is for the mouse --
> perhaps we can find homologous genes for human). Also, I'd
> encourage people to take look at what Bill Bug's Wiki page:
>
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/OntologyTaskForce/SeedOntology/
> SeedOntologyDetailedFollowup#preview
>
> On that page, it describes the following OWL axiom example:
>
> *EquivalentClass*(CerebellarPurkinjeCell *intersectionOf*
> (PurkinjeNeuron, *Restriction*(locatedInBrainRegion *allValuesFrom*
> (Cerebellum)))
>
> We can use a similar axiom to define the localization of a certain
> type of neuron cell type (CA1 pyramidal neuron) in a particular
> brain region (e.g., hippocampus). Due to my limited knowledge of
> OWL, can this type of axioms/rules be parameterized (e.g., cell
> type and brain region can be treated as variables)?
>
> Finally, due to the lack of annotation or lack of standard
> annotation, it's difficult for users/neuroscientists or web agents
> to find relevant sources (e.g., microarray databases, brain
> altases, ...) that may contain the type of data they want (e.g.,
> what genes are significantly expressed in what brain regions). The
> type of shallow annotation (Alan mentioned in a previous email)
> could at least help users identify potentially relevant resources
> even the the data provided by those sources are not in RDF/OWL
> format yet. For annotation, it might be helpful to include a little
> bit more description of the experiment such as species of the
> subject(s) (e.g., mouse), an indication of whether it is a disease
> study, drug study,  ...
>
> I need to go now. Hope it helps. Maybe more later.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Kei
>
> June Kinoshita wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I think NeuronDB might be able to provide the mapping between
>> anatomical regions and cell types. Kei, what do you think?
>>
>> June

> [...]

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy