Re: making statements on the semantic web

From: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 14:23:44 +0200
To: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>
CC: gregtyrelle@phalanxbiotech.com, Michel_Dumontier <Michel_Dumontier@carleton.ca>, public-semweb-lifesci hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) wrote:
> FYI, this is almost exactly the purpose of
> http://thing-described-by.org .  It is a 303-redirect service.  For
> example, if
> http://example.org/yeast-database/12345 denotes a page (an information
> resource) that describes a particular yeast, then
> http://thing-described-by.org?http://example.org/yeast-database/12345
> denotes the yeast itself (a non-information resource).

Should mention that the HCLS PURL resolver allows you to do the same
distinction -- plus it has nicer URLs :-) On the other hand I think it
overshoots the target a bit by having redirect URLs not just for concepts,
but also for specific representations. But that's another discussion...

UniProt provides you with the following URIs, hope that's enough :-)

http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P00750 <- concept (GET returns 303)
http://beta.uniprot.org/uniprot/P00750 <- a nice web page
http://beta.uniprot.org/uniprot/P00750.rdf <- RDF representation
http://beta.uniprot.org/uniprot/P00750.gff <- GFF representation