Re: making statements on the semantic web

On 8/25/07, Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch> wrote:
> UniProt provides you with the following URIs, hope that's enough :-)
>
> http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P00750 <- concept (GET returns 303)

I'm not sure if I am understanding the semantics of this correctly.

http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P00750 is a permanent URL for a
uniprot database entry. A database entry is an information resource,
hence http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P00750 should not return 303,
but instead the database record. Assuming for a moment you're using a
browser that  would be the HTML representation.

Or are the semantics of http-range14 going to break PURL servers,
which are using 303 as a simple redirect ? In other words, 303 in
http-range14 suggests that 'see other' means see this for data *about*
the non-information resource being identified. Rather than get the
information resource *itself* being identified at its current
(possibly temporary) URL ?

_greg

--
Greg Tyrelle, Ph.D.