Signs modulo resolution was - Re: Does follow-your-nose apply in the enterprise?

From: Chimezie Ogbuji <chimezie@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:36:07 -0400
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

/me is supposed to be on vacation but can't seem to stay away from
mailing lists threads :)

Xiaoshu Wang wrote:

> The URN Bijian/Chimezie/and others are talking about, at least from the given use cases, is intended for a URI that has no associated transportation protocol whatsoever.  Perhaps, we should give it a name, something like, URNN (any good suggestion) so to narrow the scope of discussion.

A distinct name would be nice when you consider that my first reaction
was to go with the AWWW/httprange-14-friendly term 'non-information
source'.  However, the combination of the fact the httprange-14
finding is being rewritten [1] (yes!) and Roy Fielding's response [2]
to that draft caused me to pause.

Semiotics has been around and kicking *much* before our beloved web
revolution and has appropriate names for such things.  A brief perusal
of John Sowas "Ontology, Metadata, and Semiotics" [3] turns up this

"A sign, or representamen, is something which stands to somebody for
something in some respect or capacity. It addresses somebody, that is,
creates in the mind of that person an equivalent sign, or perhaps a
more developed sign. That sign which it creates I call the
interpretant of the first sign. The sign stands for something, its
object. It stands for that object, not in all respects, but in
reference to a sort of idea, which I have sometimes called the ground
of the representamen. (CP 2.228)"

All retorts about realism-based ontological modeling aside, I think I
much prefer 'sign' to 'identifier' or 'non-information source'.

-- Chimezie

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2007Aug/0039.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2007Aug/0044.html
[3] http://users.bestweb.net/~sowa/peirce/ontometa.htm