Fwd: CRS best practices: Google Geocoding API [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

cc'd to the lists

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ed Parsons <eparsons@google.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 at 09:35
Subject: Re: CRS best practices: Google Geocoding API [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
To: Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk>

Hi Andy,

Your point re coordinate on other worlds is well made, I'm afraid we have
had little input from experts in planetary science, would it be appropriate
to say that largely best practice is to use the specific planetocentic
coordinate systems  lat.long ?

Wikipedia is quite transparent i would say....

Ed

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 23:21 Andy Mabbett, <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

On 27 March 2017 at 11:54, Ed Parsons <eparsons@google.com> wrote:

> I would argue that much of the Geo expert community data published in CRS
> other than WGS84 is largely invisible on the web not accessible behind
> opaque service interfaces, so the claim that the vast majority of spatial
> data on the web is WGS84 holds true..

Returning to my point about coordinates on other globes (did anyone
see that? I've seen no responses), would you say those on Wikipedia
are "largely invisible on the web not accessible behind opaque service
interfaces"?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing