Extended attribute grammar too complex?

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 23:15:23 +0100
To: public-script-coord@w3.org
Hi,

I've been looking at the extended attribute syntax and I wonder if it
isn't just too complex.

Rules 61-66 and 68 define a somewhat elaborate construction in which
extended attributes can be built using nested parentheses, brackets, etc.

In practice however that never seems to be used, and only rules 86-89
(which are much simpler) ever seem to be used.

Am I missing something or could the former just be dropped?