Re: New full Unicode for ES6 idea

From: Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:48:12 -0800
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
CC: Wes Garland <wes@page.ca>, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "mranney@voxer.com" <mranney@voxer.com>, es-discuss discussion <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
Phillips, Addison wrote:
>> Normalization happens to source upstream of the JS engine. Here I'll call on a
>> designated Unicode hitter. ;-)
>>

> I agree that Unicode Normalization shouldn't happen automagically in the JS engine. I rather doubt that "normalization happens to source upstream of the JS engine", unless by "upstream" you mean "best see to the normalization yourself".

Yes ;-).

I meant ECMA-262 punts source normalization upstream in the spec
pipeline that runs parallel to the browser's loading-the-URL |
processing-what-was-loaded pipeline. ECMA-262 is concerned only with its
little slice of processing heaven.

> By contrast, providing a method for normalizing strings would be useful.
/summon Norbert.

/be